If you are already tired of eating your usual breakfast menu like the tapsilog, tocilog and all the other “silog” combination, you might want to try this is another Kapampangan version of Ground Pork Omelet, known as Tortang Giniling. But unlike the usual omelet wherein the meat is hidden under the scrambled egg, this one is different.
The steps are simple and easy to follow and the ingredients are easy to find as well. The secret actually lies on the calamansi that you will be using for this recipe.
What you need:
- 1kg pork giniling or ground pork
- 1 medium sized onion sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup of calamansi extract
- 1 cup carrot diced
- 1 cup potatoes diced
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 medium pouch of tomato sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil pork giniling or ground pork in calamansi extract until ground pork absorbed it.
- In a separate pan, heat oil and saute garlic and onion until light brown in color for garlic and onions have wilted.
- Place the cooked ground pork together with the garlic and onion, saute slightly
- Place in other ingredients such as carrots, potatoes and green peas; then pour the tomato sauce.
- Allow to simmer for 5 minutes or until carrots and potatoes are cooked.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Then simmer again for another 5 minutes.
Tortang giniling goes well with either steamed rice or hot pandesal. It is also best served when hot. Enjoy cooking and happy eating.